Google Adsense Matched Contenet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian - definition

Easy question - What is the definition of a Christian?

I'm looking for what is the minimum required to believe in order for someone to consider themself a Christian. I am not asking what Catholics, Baptist, Lutherans, etc. believe, but rather what any random person on this earth MUST believe in order to consider themself a Christian.

That the mythical or real depiction of Christ said some stuff that was so interesting that you are cool with steering your life around those tenets.

I'm against forcing people to define themselves a certain way. If someone wants to associate themselves with that group by defining themselves as a christian, I'm not going to tell them they don't fit the definition. It's just that to me, I feel most of what he is said to have said that is good is all common sense stuff anyway, so why bring the supernatural into it? It's like joining the KKK just because you like the colour white.
    Last edited by Lucy Evans; 12-18-2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

A Christian is someone who believes and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Of course, it's difficult to preserve what someone teaches even to this day. So what those teachings are is up to debate. That is why there are so many denominations in Christianity.

Comment

A Christian is someone who identifies himself or herself as a Christian and who believes it. Nothing more. What makes one a good Christian or a Christian who meets the standards set up by Jesus would be a different question.

Comment

A Christian is one who believes in the Trinity, which includes the belief Jesus is God. The Nicene Creed continues to defines it well.

(Is a Muslim a Christian? If not, then Christianity isn't about following the teachings of Christ.
          Would a Christian consider another a Christian if they believed in the teachings and message of Christ, but not his divinity? If not, the belief in his divinity is the only requirement to be a Christian).

Comment

For me the MINIMUM requirement is acceptance of John 3:16 as what they believe. All the rest is a 2000 year old theological debate.

Comment

• Phyllis
              Phyllis commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you believe and accept John 3:16?
              It is one of the circular arguments that often occurs in discussion - that god gave himself in the form of jesus to be killed by his creations (humans) to save the humans from himself.

I asked a christian friend of mine this very question, his answer was that a christian must accept that jesus died for our sins and was resurrected. Can someone believe in teachings of jesus and yahweh and not believe in the death and resurrection of jesus? There are probably some like that, but the point is that my self-proclaimed christian friend would not consider them true christians.

Christians in general like to identify with the term "christian", because it makes them feel like they have a lot of people that believe the same thing that they do. But it's a blanket term for anyone who really likes jesus. I have this feeling, that since there are 2.2+billion people around the world calling themselves christian, there are 2.2+billion different versions of christianity. We have different denominations precisely because some christians believe this versus that, and among those denominations there are further disputes about what the bible says and how to conduct oneself. Even when i think of a single church filled with people who all think the other churchgoers around them believe the same thing as them, I suspect that each individual person in that church has their own specific ideas about yahweh, and jesus, and heaven, and the afterlife, and morality etc.
            I suspect there are no two "christians" that believe the exact same thing about everything. Every single christian has their own personal version of christianity.

Comment

The approach of the man has been fixed for the individuals. The roadmap of the nomination and best essay service is done for the flow of the challenges for the humans.

Comment

Even when i think of a single church filled with best gp near me people who all think the other churchgoers around them believe the same thing as them, I suspect that each individual person in that church has their own specific ideas about yahweh, and jesus, and heaven, and the afterlife, and morality etc.

Comment

I suspect there are no two "christians" that believe the pizza near me exact same thing about everything. Every single christian has their own personal version of christianity.

Comment

Working...
                  X